What’s exciting about this role?
- Cutting edge tech: Google Cloud, Kubernetes, API orchestration – all the tech you’d want to be getting your hands on. On top of that starting to adopt Backstage.io (https://backstage.io)
- Technical Challenge: This is a global platform that will be available across 170 countries. You’ll be working on multi-cluster Kubernetes round the globe and supporting a globally dispersed frontend with local API’s.
- Impact: In this role you will have an impact on a number of levels; people, product, technology and process. Strategically you’ll be looking at the day to day needs of the platform for OneHub Recognition, but also helping across the Product Squads.
What you’ll be responsible for:
Your role will be to understand the needs of the team and product, and then translate that into the necessary platform requirements. Your role will be responsible for:
- Helping to build and improve the cloud infrastructure using tools such as Terraform
- Creating and maintaining operational runbooks and alerts
- Assisting developers with the CI pipeline (CircleCI) and build tools
- Building multi-cluster Kubernetes structures all across the globe
- Supporting a globally dispersed frontend with local API’s in each country
- API orchestration
- Cloud level performance monitoring: Prometheus and Grafana
All our Platform Engineerings are be responsible for:
- Attending the Chapter meetings, discussing and communicating what platform requirements are needed by the Squad and how you can help other Squad needs.
- Working with the Lead Platform Engineer on the strategy for the products to ensure they are scalable and performant.
- Assisting with the migration of the OneHub Benefits platform from Rackspace to the cloud (GCP).
- Platform: Google Cloud, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Circle CI, Istio, Grafana, Prometheus, Elastic/ELK, MongoDB Atlas, Okta, Backstage.io.
The wider engineering stack:
- Frontend: React.js, ES6, HTML, CSS.
- Mobile: iOS, Swift 5.
- Backend: Golang, REST API’s, Java 8, Spring Boot, Tomcat, MongoDB.
- QA: Automation testing, mainly API and UI automation, Java, Postman, Selenium.
Your Values and Approach:
- Have a software engineering mindset, managing infra-as-code.
- Have a mature, agile approach to delivery
- Be excited to learn and adopt new technology
- Be committed to and participate in improving both your own and the team’s capability
- Have a sense for creating high-quality, reliable and maintainable code
- Thrive working as part of a close-knit team, making decisions together to deliver the most valuable experience to our clients’ employees possible
- Be brave and honest in the appraisal of your own and other's work; remaining open-minded and reflective about improving both yourself and the delivered product
- Know when to work autonomously and when to collaborate to achieve best results
We don’t expect someone to have every tech skill possible, or even all of the tech that they use. We want to bring someone in that understands and loves technology, wants to keep learning and picking up new skills and enjoys identifying blockers and solving them.
Skills we’d like to see from you:
- The ability to work with developers and understand their challenges and needs, then translating that into actionable platform changes
- Experience in building, maintaining and improving CI and CD pipelines
- Experience in designing, building and managing cloud infrastructure (AWS or GCP).
- Strong automation and infra-as-code skills, ideally using Terraform
- Experience in Docker, and ideally Kubernetes
A huge plus would be:
- Working on cloud migration (on-prem to cloud), would be hugely beneficial.
- Scripting skills in Bash and/or Python
- Understanding and advocation of Agile principles
- Coding skills in any language, ideally Java, Python or Go.
- Experience in Backstage.io
- Experience with MongoDB Atlas.
- Experience with Okta or similar Identity management providers
What we can offer you:
- Progression will be into a Senior Platform Engineer. You’ll be managed and mentored by our Platform Chapter Lead who is great at helping people learn new skills and giving you opportunities to work on interesting projects.
- Self-development is heavily driven, so if you want to learn a new skill this is encouraged, whether this be training or attending an event. There is an allocated £800 budget per person, and days taken for training or events are not taken as holiday!!
- You also have ‘Focus Friday’s’ where you’ll block two hours out in your diary for self-development.
Salary and Package:
- Tech setup of your choice (MacBook Pro or equivalent, monitors, etc.)
- £800 annual learning budget, plus two hours per week as ‘Focus Fridays’.
- 25 days annual leave (plus your birthday off!)
- Access to our own award-winning online benefits scheme where you can select additional flexible benefits i.e. Car Leasing, Dental Insurance, Pension, Income Protection, Life Assurance, Healthcare Cash Plan, EAP and many others
Our interview process:
We understand the need to have a fast and efficient process and we aim to complete interviews within two weeks.
- 1st interview with the VPE and Platform Chapter Lead.
45 min. Technical Q&A, general best practice, questions about us.
- Final Interview - 2 hours back to back interviews made up of:
1 hour pair programming on assignment( PE Lead and 2 engineers).
1 hour technical interview + values interview( PE Lead and 1 Engineer + 1 Prod Manager).
Salary range based on Glassdoor.