Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a Senior Backend Engineer to join our mission and help us build a global platform that’s scalable, reliable and secure. We’re working on lots of algorithmical challenges, and you’ll dive right into projects on reconciliation, integrations, authorisations and authentications.
Our Wise Platform team works with businesses and financial institutions globally to offer our services directly to their customers through our API. We help our partners to integrate with the new standard in international money transfer and deliver it to their customers as quickly and smoothly as possible, while improving our Platform making it easier to integrate with. The team’s goals are to drive the growth of Wise through partnerships and integrations by creating a world class product delivered through third parties.
Some of your focus areas will be:
- Designing and building solutions for API Partners and their customers to offer a great experience.
- Working closely with other engineering teams to offer Wise products over API.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision and responsibility for making it happen.
- Identify problems and unlock opportunities for Wise and partners through technology solutions.
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude.
- Travel to work with our teams in Tallinn and London as well as visit our partners around the world (pending Covid-19 regulations)
A bit about you:
- A strong product mindset and passion for user experience, you prioritise work with the customers in mind and make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Ability to work independently while also being a good team player. Your work will frequently involve cross-team collaboration.
- Ability to break down complex projects into incremental milestones that deliver customer value
- Experience in developing web applications and distributed systems in a production environment
- Experience with common design and architectural patterns coupled with a passion for writing clean code that is performant and well tested
- Curiosity and drive for continuous learning and improvement
- Following and advocating best coding practices, continuous delivery and code reviews
- Experience working with relational and non-relational databases, query optimisation and designing schemas is a plus
- Knowledge of Java and Spring Boot and experience with a messaging system, like Kafka, is a plus
Some extra skills that would be awesome:
- Experience with our stack: Java within the Spring ecosystem, Kubernetes, AWS and service mesh architectures.
- You have worked with distributed systems and monolithic architectures and understand the advantages and challenges of both.
- Passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems.
- Demonstrated experience speaking at conferences and public events.
What you get back:
- The autonomy to solve problems your way
- The freedom to have real impact
- Loads of development opportunities
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- The opportunity to work with super smart people
- Salary: £80,000 - £115,000
Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
...or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
If you want to find out more about what it's like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Keep up to date with life at Wise by following us on LinkedIn and Instagram.