Our mission is to accelerate and democratize the world's research because scientific discovery is based on it, and scientific discovery benefits everyone. We have over 300,000 paying premium subscribers, which has contributed to a doubling in revenue over the last four years.
Who we are
We are a Remote First company with an office in San Francisco, building the world’s largest network for sharing and finding academic research online. We closed $23M Series “D” round in December of 2021.
With over 190M registered users and nearly half of the world’s academics using our platform every month, we are in a unique position to disrupt the $25B academic publishing industry. Our users range from researchers, academics, industry professionals, and college students.
What we're looking for
Our ideal candidates are not only great at what they do but are also mission-driven. Ideally, you have experience with a set of engineering approaches for running better production systems - responsible for the big picture of how systems are designed for operability, how they relate to each other, and working with a breadth of tools and approaches to solve a broad spectrum of problems. Bonus points for experience scaling an application to handle an increasing user base.
What you'll work on
- Participate in system design, redesign as we continue to grow.
- Modify and deliver Ansible playbooks and Terraform modules that describe resilient architectural components.
- Contribute to best-in-class monitoring and self-healing.
- Troubleshoot system infrastructure problems and bottlenecks and determine the best solution.
- Maintain and enhance our CI pipeline.
- Evangelize good systems engineering practices.
- 2+ years of experience as an SRE supporting production web infrastructure.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and/or a wide range of relevant work experience.
- Extensive experience with AWS and Linux systems.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills Solid knowledge of web architecture and systems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with one or more configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Terraform, equivalent) Familiarity with one or more time-series and tracing monitoring tools.
- Shell scripting and coding in one other language.
Nice to haves
- Experience as a Lead or Sr. Engineer supporting a high scale B2C web development platform.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails at scale.
- Extensive Postgres experience.
- Strong experience with any NoSQL database (MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.)
- Experience supporting Data Science or Business Analysis teams at scale.
What you'll get
- In addition to working closely with and collaborating with our talented tight-knit team, we value fostering employee growth.
- Our ~97 person team, which includes ~57 Software Engineers, all value curiosity, initiative, teamwork, and we are passionate about building a great work environment that produces great products.
- We have an employee-focused benefits program that includes :
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees that covers their spouses and dependents.
- A generous Paid Time Off includes 21 paid vacation days, 11 paid company holidays, and 1 volunteer day
- Annual professional development allowance & PTO
- Book stipend.
- Stock options.
- Flexible sick days
- Parental & birth parent leave - 8 fully paid weeks each
- Fully paid 6-week sabbatical after 4 years of employment
- Work/Life balance with flex hours
- Weekly Bootcamp & yoga class
- FSA accounts
- Company-paid retreats
- Commuter benefits
- New computer hardware and accessories
- WFH monthly Internet stipend
- Stipend for hardware and accessories for WFH productivity setup
- 401K plan
Our Remote Work Policy
- You can work 100% remotely from anywhere in the US or Canada if you are legally living and working in the USA or a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Our core work hours are 10am-4pm Pacific Time, with an hour lunch break from 12-1pm + flex hours for the rest of the day.
Diversity and Inclusion
Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our first-year cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $160,000/yr to $240,000/yr in the USA. Compensation is adjusted for Canada, based on location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.