Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee – whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 – you’ll tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
Etsy is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our Machine Learning Platform team. Our team ensures the systems that enable ML practitioners to prototype, train, serve, and operate their ML models are reliable, cost-efficient, and increase their productivity.
We are looking for individuals who will push the boundaries of our ML platform by investigating & building cutting-edge systems for Etsy.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Engineering Manager, ML Platform, and the base salary range will be 196,000 - 230,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the US who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our flexible work options and vaccination policy here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- Here’s an article published on Etsy’s Code as Craft blog about the team and platform!
- We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact
- We build platforms & services for machine learning problems at scale
- We are passionate about supporting our customers (internal applied scientists and machine learning engineers)
- We take pride in our products and team culture
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Develop products and features that power model prototyping and training jobs at Etsy
- Support our customers to deliver a great model development experience and adoption of our platform
- Partner closely with other platform teams to deliver cohesive experiences for end users
- Lead the team’s technical strategy, thoughtfully proposing new products or product upgrades when appropriate
- Provide technical mentorship for other members of the team
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
You are a caring teammate who enjoys helping others. Your growth mindset means you find joy in continuous learning and self-improvement. It also helps if you have:
- Solid Infrastructure background with 5+ years of industry ML Engineering & systems experience
- Practical experience designing & architecting large scale machine learning systems
- Strong engineering and coding skills, with the ability to write high-performance production code. Proficiency in Java, Python, Scala, and/or other equivalent languages
- You have built distributed services with technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, Spark, etc
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform is a plus
- Hands-on experience in Machine learning frameworks & technologies such as Tensorflow / TFX, Pytorch, Kubeflow
- You have strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Strong collaboration skills, as well as both verbal and written communication skills
- Curiosity and humility. We are dedicated to learning and constantly improving. We hope you also value things like blameless postmortems and have a natural drive to figure out how everything works.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.